Publishing Expo 2009
Publishing Expo is a strange event. Despite being billed as the ‘must attend event for anyone working in the changing world of publishing’, I’ve found previous Expos to be anything but that. It’s actually a rather dull trade show at London’s Olympia.
It’s saving grace are the free creative seminars, programmed by Aidan Walker, and this year there are several must-see speakers:
• John L Walters and Simon Esterson, long-time editor and art director of Eye magazine (and now co-publishers/owners of the title) talk about self publishing the magazine
• Danny Miller and Matt Bochenski talk about their independent movie magazine Little White Lies;
• Matt Willey shows off his work for Futu, Map, Zembla etc.
• Pentagram partners Domenic Lippa and Angus Hyland discuss the new age of craft.
• Plus the discussion I'm looking forward to most: building on my proposition last year that the role of editors and art directors are morphing into a single role, Andy Cowles (editorial development director at IPC Media) and Tony Chambers, (ex-art director, now editor-in-chief, Wallpaper*) discuss how they crossed over from designing to editing. Redwood creative director Paul Kurzeja adds a digital element to this seminar.
There’s plenty more – these are just some highlights. See the full programme here.
Publishing Expo takes place at Olympia on Wednesday 11 and Thursday 12 February.